Inspired by the November 20 birthdays of Beastie Boys‘ Mike D, Eagles’ Joe Walsh, Future, Esquerita, Norman Greenbaum, King, and Nu Shooz’s Valerie Day; and the November 19 birthdays of Ofra Haza and Tommy Stewart.
Five facts about and five songs by Andy Gibb:
• Gibb became the first solo artist to have three consecutive number one singles on Billboard’s Hot 100 – “I Just Want to Be Your Everything,” “(Love Is) Thicker Than Water” and “Shadow Dancing.”
• Gibb’s “(Love Is) Thicker Than Water” single knocked from the #1 spot “Stayin’ Alive” performed by the Bee Gees, Gibb’s older brothers. “Thicker Than Water” was in turn was knocked from #1 by the Bee Gees’ “Night Fever.” (“Night Fever” was knocked from #1 by Yvonne Elliman’s “If I Can’t Have You,” written and produced by the Bee Gees. They were quite popular in 1978.)
• The uncredited guitarist on “(Love Is) Thicker Than Water” is Joe Walsh of Eagles. Walsh and fellow Eagle Don Felder also played on Gibb’s Shadow Dancing album.
• Andy is a writer on “(Love Is) Thicker Than Water,” “Shadow Dancing,” “Desire,” and “Time Is Time,” all top 15 hits for him.
• On March 5, 1988, Andy celebrated his thirtieth birthday. He died later that week of an inflammation of the heart muscle caused by a viral infection, aggravated by years of cocaine abuse.